Sunday, January 31, 2010

My first day in Lima

Right now I am sitting in my cozy little bedroom on the third floor of my new house in Lima. So far, everything has gone perfectly. My family picked me up from the airport last night, and after a quick tour of the neighborhood and a midnight snack of some ice cream I finally got to bed at about 3 in the morning.

My family is wonderful! I have a host grandpa and grandma, mother, aunt, and sister (who is about 30 years old). They have all been very kind and welcoming to me. My grandpa is very sweet and loves to tell stories and work in the garden. So far I am closest with my host mother and grandma who took me around Miraflores this morning. We went to the beach which is the most beautiful aqua color, despite the fact that it is so close to a city of 10 million people. We also walked around the main shopping center, Larcomar, where we sat and ate lunch while looking overhead at the para-sailers gliding on the wind above the ocean.

Everything still seems a bit surreal, but I am already beginning to get used to the constant noise of the city. I have never seen so many people in my life! The roads are completely crazy because nobody pays attention to stop signs, lights, or street lanes. There is honking from every direction and yelling from car window to window. It is both overwhelming and very exciting!

Today I forgot my camera when i went out, but pictures are soon to come!


p.s. for those of you who know me well, you will be proud: for breakfast today I ate a bowl of fruit! chau :D

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! This is so fantastic, and not just the bit about the fruit! I am so happy you are off to a great start, you are lucky to have a delightful family, and they are luckier yet to have you!!! Enjoy, enjoy! See you in 19 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marge, I am so excited to see you and talk to you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey bug! I'm soooo happy this all worked out for you. Miss you already - of course ;) Keep blogging so we all know what's happening with you!
    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sierra,

    What's a father to say to his girl travelling on another continent at only 17?...you are constantly growing up and moving forward faster than my heart can keep up with you!

    Walking down oour hallway at the ranch, glancing into your room with 100's posters and albums tacked up to your 4 walls..you are close to my heart when you are 1000's of miles away. I love and miss you so much.

    -Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. you ate fruit!! wow...I don't know what to say...

    ReplyDelete