Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I am alive.

I am writing this post to let all of you know that I am alive, though I have been without internet for the past couple days. To be honest, I am not in much of a writing mood but I am keeping to my goal of not forgetting that I have a blog to upkeep. It seems to help me clear out my brain because the days have begun to blur together in a huge smear of traffic and rapidly spoken Spanish. Homesickness is beginning to settle in, and trust me, you do not want to know what I would give for a slice of Giseppi's pizza right now.

But enough about that. I have too many wonderful things happening right now to be able to complain, so I will allow myself only two sentences to focus on the negative.

Now back to the fun stuff. Over the past 3 days I have been to Wong a total of 12 times. I am literally keeping track, because it is getting a bit comical. I spent about 2 hours in there today figuring out how to buy an internet chip, so now my connection should be much more solid! Other than trips to the grocery store I have been doing so many amazing things I can't even remember them all. On Saturday night I went to dinner with my host mother and tried a popular Peruvian drink, called a Pisco Sour. People in this country are also obsessed with Chicha Morada and Inca Cola (soft drinks). During my past couple dinners out, I have realized that Peruvians are a hoot to be around at meals because they are so passionate about what they eat - and they eat with style.

On Sunday I watched the Super Bowl with our family friends, the Gretzingers, at an American pub called The Corner. I think that every white male in Lima was crammed into this place, and I found myself completely forgetting that I was in South America instead of a small Texas town for the big football game. Also during the past few days, I went to my first movie in Peru and took my exams for my school (which I admit, I have been avoiding talking about until now). To say the least, they did not go well. This is mostly because the entire exam was in Spanish. I was allowed a spanish-english dictionary, but that wasn't much help with my 200 + questions to answer in Math, Spanish, and History, etc.

But, I am very proud to say, I most definitely aced the English section.

5 comments:

  1. Was just looking at all of your pictures on facebook... what a beautiful place - I love what seems to be such an explosion of color... love the pots along the roof of you home...

    What is Pisco Sour? Is it a soda??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gma says Hello - She reads your blog and checks FB all the time to see what is new with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing so many details! You make your experience come alive for me here at home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure why my post above said I was Kate???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! a pisco sour is actually an alcoholic drink (but don't worry - i just tried it). It is a famoud Peruvian drink, but the Peruvians and Chileans are always fighting about where it is from. Both are very proud of their versions, and it's quite the heated topic...

    ReplyDelete