Saturday, March 13, 2010

School and Such


I have never had less of an idea about what is going on around me than the past two weeks of my life, but things are beginning to smooth out and fall into place. School has been a complete blur of me trying to comprehend classes like Advanced Physics 2... in SPANISH. dios mio.

However, starting monday I will be helping out in the pre-school and kindergarten classes with teaching english during the classes where I don't even have a remote idea of what's going on. San Jorge (my school) is grades k-12 all in one building, so I get to see the younger kids alot. They are so cute in their uniforms with little rolling Barbie and Ninja Turtle backpacks. I am so excited!

San Jorge is a British school, so it is set up a bit like... Hogwarts. Minus the castle and mail by owl. But there are 4 houses, prefects, head boys and girls, demerits and all that good stuff. The actual school building is intiresting because there is a center basketball court and all of the classrooms are built around it, forming a wall. After 8 when school starts the gates get locked and nobody can go in or out except through the front desk area - making it impossible for anyone to cut class. Oh! the most different thing from Ashland High School is that there are guards who stand around San Jorge in uniform with multiple guns and bats with metal spikes strapped to their belt. That was a bit intimidating on my first day.

On friday my class went on a field trip to a club in La Molina and we spent the day playing volleyball, swimming in a gorgeous pool and sun tanning. My kind of field trip :) Definitely beats the fourth time in one year of walking to Science Works or North Mountain Park...

I have been anticipating that I would begin to get really homesick by now, but to be honest I haven't even cried once since I arrived in Lima. But I do miss my family and friends in the states very much. I would give anything to be able to bring you all to Lima and show all of you how wonderful it is! But for now emails and blogs will have to do.

1 comment:

  1. nice talking/seeing you the other night.

    kisses uncle rick

    ReplyDelete